By Barbara C. Jentleson
This is the dramatic tale in the back of the transformation of Duke college from an remoted, specific establishment to the dynamic, civically engaged campus that exists today.Better Togetherexamines the 1st decade of the Duke-Durham local Partnership (DDNP) and its involvement with undertaking desire, six caliber community-based afterschool courses. the writer makes use of case experiences and broad interviews with college and group leaders to explain the improvement of this profitable partnership. The textual content solutions many commonly asked questions on tips to create partnerships and encompasses a variety of programming actions that educators and neighborhood organizers can use to enhance their paintings with all teenagers, specifically low source of revenue minority youth.
- An research of the dangers and merits of college and neighborhood partnerships aimed toward fixing the intense social factor of ultimate the fulfillment gap.
- A version that may be replicated to create optimistic possible choices for low source of revenue minority youth.
- Case reviews supported by way of documentation practices that have been the results of the evaluate specifications of a number of investment sources.
- The views of venture employees, neighborhood companions, and scholar participants.
Barbara C. Jentlesonis an Assistant Professor of the perform within the software in schooling at Duke collage. From 2002-2010, she used to be the Director of venture desire (Holistic possibilities Plan for Enrichment).
“Barbara Jentleson not just led the improvement of a version application, yet during this ebook, exhibits how enriching children’s adventure in after institution courses could be replicated in groups around the nation.Better Togetheris a needs to learn for educators and policymakers who care approximately bettering scholar performance.”
—John Burness, intervening time president, Franklin & Marshall College
Read or Download Better Together: A Model University-Community Partnership for Urban Youth PDF
Similar college & university education books
A part of the groundbreaking Connecting with e-Learning sequence, A consultant to real e-Learning presents potent, operating examples to interact beginners with genuine projects in on-line settings. As know-how maintains to open up probabilities for leading edge and powerful instructing and studying possibilities, scholars and lecturers are not any longer content material to just accept known lecture room or lecture-based pedagogies that depend on details supply and little else.
Include the easiest practices for beginning multicultural swap in participants, teams, and associations greater schooling associations have started to take steps towards addressing multicultural matters on campuses, yet typically, these in command of the duty have got little to no education within the matters which are paramount in serving culturally varied scholars.
Sociocultural concerns in actual schooling: Case reviews for lecturers turns out to be useful to quite a lot of members drawn to expanding their sociocultural knowledge and information so one can give some thought to how scholars’ reviews are formed in and during actual schooling periods. This ebook can be in particular valuable to instructor applicants and as a certified improvement software.
Northern Kentucky University's evolution from an academic department of the collage of Kentucky right into a significant college in its personal correct is a story of promise and humble beginnings. may the handful of scholars and teachers attending sessions in a Covington bus station in 1946 have ever imagined what the following six and a part a long time could carry?
- Anatomy of a Collaboration: Study of a College of Education/Public School Partnership (Critical Education Practice)
- The Experiences of Black and Minority Ethnic Academics: A comparative study of the unequal academy (Routledge Research in Higher Education)
- Inquiry-Based Learning: Designing Instruction to Promote Higher Level Thinking
- Get Up! College: How to Successfully Navigate Your Freshman Year . . . and Beyond
Additional info for Better Together: A Model University-Community Partnership for Urban Youth
Better Together: A Model University-Community Partnership for Urban Youth by Barbara C. Jentleson